North Korea, do those words conjure up a civilized society in your mind? North Korea is analogous to a very smart, high energy kid on the playground who is obsessed with bullying every kid he comes into contact with. The only scary thing is this kid constantly brags about how well he knows the methods to make homemade dynamites and grenades. Would you let that pudgy kid play with your child or would you tolerate him bullying other kids? Noteworthy; North Korea is a proud socialist and communist peoples republic according to the democratic people’s party leadership. I wonder what the average common man would say if given the choice to be in a free society or live under the socialist regime? What would Bernie Sanders, Socialist senator from Vermont, say about what it means to live in a socialist society? I hope to have an opportunity in the future to pick Mr. Sanders brain. It could turn out to be a Hollywood-style blockbuster documentary!
A brief history of North Korea in a snapshot in the 19th century:
- 1910-1945, Korea was Annexed and controlled by Imperial Japan
- Korea was split into two parts; North and South at the 38th parallel approximately 50-50 split. As part of World War II general order Japanese surrender to America,1945-1950.
- 1945-1950 North Korea was occupied by the Soviets while the Americans took control of the capital Seoul in South Korea
- 1948 Kim Il Sung became the leader of Juche, self-reliant socialist Korean philosophy via Peoples Worker Party (WPK) of North Korea. Meanwhile in the same year 1948 Syngman Rhee an anti-communist rose to power to control the South Korean government. The two nations had a diametrically opposed political, economic and social system. Stark differences between USSR Communist ideology and the United States ideology of Capitalism; the birth of the cold war!
- 1948 The USSR withdrew its troops from North Korea and so did the Americans in 1949 from South Korea.
- 1950 the North Under Kim Il Sung leadership decided to invade the south to force a reunification of the Korean Peninsula as one nation. The invasion was successful but the allied united nations forces led by the United States of America pushed back and hence the beginning of the Korean War.
- 1950-1953 Korean War dragged on until Chinese forces helped the North Koreans as the South advanced north with the help of American troops. A stalemate became reality as two sides couldn’t penetrate deeper with outright victory and the 38th parallel was re-established as a half way point between the now divided two nation states.
If the following statement ripped right out of the official North Korean government doctrine has any resemblance to irony then I would welcome you folks to the real world of comical insanity and pardon me while I avoid falling off my spinning chair! After the quote stay tuned for some interesting provocative queries and factual data that may shed some light on this “sublime philosophy!” no pun intended nor are we trying to defy logic in this part of the universe!
“ Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea is a genuine workers’ state in which all the people are completely liberated from exploitation and oppression. The workers, peasant, soldiers and intellectuals are the true masters of their destiny and are in a unique position to defend their interests.” Sounds like a reasonably good philosophy thus far, right? Until you run into the following intriguing factoids:
- North Korea has approximately 16,000 miles of road network but only 450 miles are paved roads. An insider joke; North Korea is the safest place to drive as there are no road accidents and no traffic because no one can afford a car except for the ruling class!
- Annual income for North Korea is about $16 Billion GDP. that’s about 1/5 of Bill Gates founder of Microsoft net worth ($87.3 Billion). Translates into $645 annual income per person based on a population of 24.8 million folks!
- Marijuana (Weed) is legal in North Korea to keep everyone sedated and mellow!
- Traffic Lights don’t exist, so plenty of real traffic cops on every conceivable corner.
- Outside of the capital Pyongyang, there is no electricity in many towns and country sides.
- North Korea bases its calendar on its founding father and first despot leader born April 15th, 1912 Kim Il Sung. Therefore in North Korea, it is currently the year 104. They truly believe they are the first nation and tribe on earth as in Adam and Eve! After free weed smoking you never know folks, it could be true?
- On average North Koreans are two inches shorter than their counterparts in the south. Being that healthcare and nutrition are an actual luxury in North Korea!
- Only 20% of the land is arable in North Korea.
- North Korea has been labeled the most corrupt nation in the world! Only Somalia and Bangladesh come in second and third in comparison to the regime.
- For about $8,000 a North Korean can pay a “coyote” to escape to China or to South Korea! When an escapee is caught he or she must serve a sentence in a labor work camp including their grandparents, parents, and children. A full 3 generational punishment! If you belong to a higher class you simply get sentenced to death! For an Average North Korean it would take only 15 years or realistically 24 years of savings to come up with an “escape fee of $8000 based on $645 annual income!”
- Free and fair elections are held every 5 years! Only choice you have on the ballot is one candidate, the great leader Kim Jong Un!
- North Koreans are taught that, the North Korea is one country and that South Korea is just an occupied colonial beachhead for the imperialist American government.
- Every bookstore in North Korea is replete with one major book title; Kim Jong Il books about how he was born miraculously, the genius military protege who graduated before schedule and was able to teach his masters and superiors about everything you can conceive of military wise. Books about Kim’s mother and bedtime stories of legendary conquest and feats and everything poetic and lifestyle about Kim Jong IL, and his father Kim IL Sung.
- As part of the vacation and vocational learning, every North Korean is encouraged to visit Kim Jong IL burial casket draped in a glass. It is required homage and patriotism as a champion of the cause for Socialism!
- Kim Jong IL in 1978 kidnapped a famed filmmaker Shin Sang from South Korea, specifically to make Propaganda films that would shine the light on how enlightened, entertaining and wondrous life is in Socialist North Korea! And also improve the North Korean Movie industry!
If this whole North Korean story were all a work of fiction, it would be an instant literature classic best seller only second to the legendary walk of fame as in George Orwell’s book 1984!
What we know and don’t know, maybe the hair trigger that raises the specter of a messy bloody war if the civilized world must confront this rogue regime! We have reached a fever pitched crescendo! Thanks to the “kick the can down the road” philosophy pursued by past administrations starting with Bill Clinton,1994 through Obamas, 2016. An almost insane approach code named “strategic patience” which is essentially a capitulation to the madness from a potential suicidal maniacal government! That should reassure you folks out there that we live in a very mundane peaceful world wherein our enemies are saber rattling and threatening global peace and our dear Government officials, especially the last Czars of 2009-2016 era had been resting on their laurels or twiddling their thumbs while “Rome Burns”.Don’t you wish you were a snowflake? It’s one thing to have a mutually assured destruction detente pact (MAD) as we have had with the Soviet Union now Russia in bygone decades, but when you have overzealous religious nut jobs such as Iran and a certified maniacal Communist regime as in North Korea, we can not afford to ignore the threats that these regimes pose on the global or regional stage! the entire western civilization has to rally together and protect these precious freedoms and fundamental human rights we all cherish! This is an existential threat: Picture this scenario for a few seconds; your next door neighbor consistently threatens to burn your house down because he doesn’t like your fencing or the noise from your lawn mower when you’re pruning the brushes, and you notice your neighbor piling up wood and playing with Molotov cocktails and dynamite while threatening to incinerate your house? I doubt that any sane neighborly person would look at that scenario or situation and call it a time for “strategic patience?” even more irrational would be the thought of just engaging the neighbor into friendly coffee time chat, that may assuage their diabolical menace? Unfortunately, that’s the world we live in where threats by any adversary must be taken serious and for what they are worth; real existential threats! I’m not a war monger and I would hate that we descend down this very precarious path as we all know the necessary evils of war! I would hope that we could offer this chubby communist manchild a good treat that would make him and his regime back down and maybe unite the Korean peninsula into one nation in exchange for the total dismantling of all the nuclear technology and sites they have burrowed under the ground or wherever they have hidden them. The most head-scratching conundrum is the fact that America and the rest of the western world have no actionable human intelligence on the ground due to North Korea being isolated and cut off from civilization the last 50 years and counting! Will the new Trump Administration do something strong and positive to solve this menace? I nervously await the wise and calmer heads in the “situation room” at the white house, to act decisively and quell this cancerous cell on humanity.
Lets us take a short journey to North Korea. A picture is worth a thousand words and more sublime are the self-evident facts that spin out of the ethernet by way of expert analysis through our caveman scientist lab.